LisaRaye is in the latest Essence Magazine issue. Remember her? Diamond from Playas Club...first lady of Turks and Caicos, Neesee James on All of Us. Three images that though seemingly contradictory are probably all sides of the coin that is Lisa Raye. It's unfortunate that the time of her life that should be filled with joy has come to such an end. Of course The Lime brought you all the latest updates in her tumultuous relationship with husband Michael Misick Premier of Turks and Caicos Islands. Here are excerpts from her latest interview with Essence Magazine.

ESSENCE.COM: Many balked at your whirlwind romance and marriage and accused you of being an opportunist. How do you feel about that assessment of your character?
LISARAYE: First of all, I'm a fan of love and partnership. I would say this to my critics: If a man comes to you there obviously has to be a connection. I had a man who's smart and powerful and who I fell in love with. He's embracing my family. Add the fact that I have an opportunity to bring tourism to his country and be involved in something historical. Who in the hell would say no? But what scared me was the idea of being First Lady?
ESSENCE.COM: What frightened you about assuming that role?

LISARAYE: I knew nothing about being a First Lady or politics. I'm thinking, What am I going to have to change? I'm on a successful sitcom, my daughter is in high school and I'm the breadwinner. What am I going to do? Then Prince Charming comes my way and I'm saying, "God, did You send this man to me to take me away like Calgon?"

ESSENCE.COM: Was it difficult making the transition from Hollywood to a small island?
LISARAYE: I have a responsibility to LisaRaye the actress, the host, the motivating speaker, the mother, the model. That woman is still me. However, I understood that I had taken on this other responsibility to the countrymen and women of Turks and Caicos. I stepped into this position as the country's First Lady, and I will admit I was scared, because I'm an American girl, a city girl who is used to the lights, camera, and action. I knew nothing about being a politician's wife or First Lady. In Hollywood, we don't sell sugar and coffee; we sell the sand, the sea and the stars. Everything in Turks and Caicos is different—culturally, geographically and even the style of dress. It wasn't easy leaving my family and friends behind to come to a country where I know no one except my husband. There was no protocol person or committee to teach me what my role should be nor did anyone tell me, "This is what we expect of you."

Read the entire interview HERE

Bookmark and Share
0 comments
Related Posts with Thumbnails