Shirley Maynier Burke, mother of politician Paul Burke, won a landmark ruling when the lyrical copyright of the song "Hoolignas" was transferred from Bob Marley and Studio One to her. The song was recorded by JamRec in the 60s.

She was credited with the original recording till other claims arose. Now she can claim royalties from 2002 up to 50 years past her death.

As for the beginnings of the song, Ms. Burke told the Jamaica Observer:
"Somewhere in the '60s there was a rude boy phenomena and I was then a member of the Jamaica Federation of Women and they wanted me to do a television discussion on the subject," . But I told them that they were preaching to the converted. We really needed to get a voice that the masses would hear, so I said 'why don't I write a song for Marley and the Wailers'. They didn't all approve. Anyhow, I wrote the lyrics, took it to Steven Dodd. The song was recorded, I got six copies of the record...,"

The ruling was done "by Consent" meaning that there was an agreement among the parties. The Marley estate did not contest.

Source

Bookmark and Share
0 comments
Related Posts with Thumbnails