Ok. Four Flags. I'm sure you are asking "What's the significance?" Right? Well if you know Neutral then you know. When you see these four flags: Kenya, England, Jamaica, USA you know there must be a story behind that. These are the flags that precede (and hang through) every performance of Kyra and Bianca Noons AKA Neutral Sisters. Born in Kenya to Jamaican parents and raised in England, Jamaica and the USA, I am proud to know that I could call these two outstanding young women as friends.

(Kyra and Bianca Noons)

I remember the first time I met Bianca, I was backing up Tremendous who at the time was performing with Yard Sound Band and the band was also backing up Neutral for some event. She was soft spoken and she was talking some serious Jamaican patios. It was crazy (not to be stereotypical) but I wasn't expecting that. And when she got on the mike, she floored me for real. Here was this slender, soft-spoken, easy going chick sounding like Bounty Killa in a skirt. With her deadly DJing style and Kyra's melodious vocals, Neutral was a winning combination. Over the years, we performed at several shows and I even got a chance to interview them for Jouvert Magazine (click HERE) to read the interview on their site. I must say to this day I only associate her with positive vibes and upliftment and humility.

Bianca went into a diabetic coma last December. Several artists in the Houston community performed at various fundraising events for her. I really thought she would make it through and just prayed that the next time I see her she would be back on stage doing her thing. Sadly, she passed two Saturdays ago. It just seems so unfair. I know people always say "well be happy that you knew her" or "everything happens for a reason" , you know those types of things. I have said those same words to others, but that really doesn't make this an easy loss to bear. She was just such a nice girl.

Please, if you read up to this point ( I am really wearing my heart on my sleeve here- not everyone can deal) go to the official website www.neutralsisters.com and make a donation or at least listen to their music. See what they are all about.

If you are in Houston or the vicinity, please attend the memorial concert in her honor. Ky-Mani Marley will be there to salute her, as well as Colin Garvey, grandson of Marcus Garvey.
Bianca is survived by her parents Valerie and Tony, sister Kyra, brothers Luke and Daniel , and grandparents Tony and Sue Benn.

Love you girl...we will never forget!!!!

Bookmark and Share
0 comments
Related Posts with Thumbnails