I wanted to interview Guyanese-born, openly-gay singer Nhojj because his music is very soothing, relaxing and I love his voice. Also I wanted to introduce the Caribbean audience to him. I don't think in perusing the Internet that I have ever seen his name on any Caribbean site. Though to be fair one does not automatically think "Caribbean" upon listening to his music. His popularity within the gay community is on the rise due to his same gender music and of course the awesome voice. So, in keeping with our theme "Stars on the Rise" please read on to see what he thinks of his journey to the top.



1. What does success mean to you?
Success is being able to do what I love to do – create music. Success is creating music that moves and touches people. Success is receiving emails and comments saying that my music made a difference in someone's life – even if its a small one. Success is getting better and better at being a human being. Success is staying happy regardless of what is happening around.


2. What do you want to achieve in your field?
I want to raise the visibility and respect of LGBT artists in the music industry and help bridge the gap that exists between heterosexuals and homosexuals. I want to be a good role model for LGBT youth. We are all God's children.


3. What is the greatest sacrifice you have made so far in your career?
The biggest sacrifice I've made is giving up the sense of security that most people feel when they have a career that is tried and tested. If you go to Med school and study hard, you can rest assured that you can live comfortably for the rest of your life. If you become a musician – there isn't that feeling of assurance. I've given up that sense of security in order to gain personal fulfillment.


4. Though you already have a loyal following, do you ever fear that you won’t make it big?
I want to be happy and live my truth and I want to create music that I feel is worth making. If that takes me to super stardom – that's great, if it doesn't I'm still happy because my satisfaction has to come from within. Celebrities come and go, sometimes rather quickly – I don't want to spend my life chasing something so fleeting. I want to spend my life and energy nourishing my spirit.


5. What makes you stand out in your field?
We're all unique and special and I believe that anyone who focuses on those aspects of their nature will stand out in their field. I believe its about nurturing your own private genius. And I believe that is what has allowed me to stand out – I've worked hard at staying true to who I am and not hiding those parts of me that seem different.


6. What is the best piece of advice you have been given and who was it from?
Focus on the things you want and dream big everyday – I read it in Jack Canfield's book “Success Principles.”


7. What advice do you have for anyone trying to make it in your field?
Read everything you can, work at getting better and better at your craft, and of course dream big everyday.

...and don't forget to click HERE to read Nhojj's answers to our 20 Questions!

Bookmark and Share
2 comments
  1. Will April 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

    This was a great interview. I really like his music. Thanks for this glimpse into his life and his work.

  2. Ayeola April 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

    Hey Will thanks for your comment...there is a part 2..if you did not click the link in the interview, here it is
    http://www.20questionswiththelime.com/2010/04/nhojj-interview-stars-on-rise-feature.html

    Thanks again for stopping by and don't be a stranger, k:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails